Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mixed blessing

Yesterday was a court hearing for a NRFM (non related family member..whatever that means). She is fighting for custody of the children. She was denied previously, but is fighting the court.

The case was continued because now J's paternal grandmother wants both of the kids. I have such mixed feelings about this. I think it's important that the kids stay together. They are really the only stability that they have in each other. However, this grandmother is not related to R. And she has only met them once, which was 2 weeks ago. I guess we're not related to R either, but whatever.

I called the lawyer to ask if we can fight for R. I was told that the grandmother is shaping up and should probably receive placement within 30 days. When I told the lawyer, he was shocked. (Don't lawyers and SW talk to each other?!) He didn't know that things were progressing with the grandmother. He said that he would fight for them to stay together, but he was still fighting for them to stay with us.

So, basically who knows what is going to happen?The next court case is the beginning of next month. At that point, they will (hopefully) make a decision between NRFM/grandmother/us.

Keep on praying for us. We hope that if it means that they have to leave that they will leave before the first of the year. We can't take them with us to my stepsister's wedding out of state. I don't want to have to find respite for the week and then have them go a couple of weeks later.

No comments: