Saturday, November 5, 2011

Thankful Thanksgiving #5

Day #5 of being thankful...

Today, I'm thankful for Patrick's grandparents. I'll never forget the terror I felt the first time I called his grandma on the phone. His social worker decided it was time for us to meet and gave me the phone number. I called and talked to this lady on the phone and tried to be "normal". I was fine until she said, "just so you know, we're not going to try to take away your baby". I lost it.

She just wanted to know that Patrick was safe and happy with us. After that, we started building a relationship. It's an important issue for us. We want him to have some connection to his biological family.

And I'm so thankful for that. I'm thankful that they are willing to have this relationship with us. I'm thankful that they love Patrick enough to let us adopt him. I'm thankful that they include Maggie in our get-togethers and give her gifts, too.

I'm thankful that we get to share Patrick's life with them and for the relationship that has already begun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I can't imagine how threatening it felt to take that risk for Patrick. I don't envy being in that position, and I'm not sure I could have handled it as well.

Brandy Keen said...

Wow, that is a huge blessing and it's fantastic that you, as his parents, view it that way as well. I'm sure his grandmother views you as an enormous blessing as well!!!