Friday, November 4, 2011

Thankful Thanksgiving #4

If you are my friend on facebook, I'm sure you have heard about the Willie drama. I have been so upset in the past week about my dog. We got Willie 10 years ago a few weeks after we got married. He's definitely my baby and Steven puts up with Willie.

After Patrick got home from his surgery, we started noticing that Willie was having a really hard time breathing. We took him to the vet and they did some x-rays. His lungs were almost completely filled with fluid. They couldn't even hear his heart beating. They said that it didn't look good for Willie (aka Woo-Woo). They sent us home with lasix and 2 antibiotics and said to come back in a week to recheck him.


Over the past few days, I've sobbed and wondered what to do. How do you know if a dog doesn't feel well? He's kinda lethargic and he gets older and super picky about his food and seems to forget why he scratched on the door. His breathing has gotten  quieter, but he still is laboring to breathe and now he's not eating. I had to shove his medicine down his throat. He wouldn't eat it with cheese or ham or even wet cat food. I called the vet to recheck him today and cried some more. Oh yeah and I cried in the grocery store on the pet food aisle the other day and bought Willie a treat.

We made the appointment for after school so Maggie could go in case this was a goodbye visit. I took this picture of Willie and Patrick just in case it was Willie's last picture. Patrick thought it was hilarious that Willie was sitting in "sissy's seat".



Patrick really loves "woo woo" and held tight to his leash during the whole visit. The vet was impressed by Willie's progress. He could hear his heart and got another x ray that shows that he is improving. The antibiotics are working. We can actually see through some of the fluid on the x ray. So, we're going to keep doing what we are doing and see if he stays with us a little longer. He even ate a cheeseburger tonight loaded with antibiotics and a lasix.

Today, I am grateful for a little while longer with Willie. I love him and his sweet, goofy spirit.

How about you? Have you ever had a scare with a pet?

No comments: