Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Boredom busters

I have been "pinning" ideas for easy craft projects this summer. Maggie adores crafts and doing activities, especially ones that  I do with her. Patrick and Maggie will be home full time in two weeks so I want to be prepared with some fun crafts for them.

However, I have seen three different posts on "boredom busters" this summer. While it's tempting to want to plan out their summer and keep them from whining about boredom, I really don't want to do bust up all their boredom. I want them to know that it is okay for them to be bored. In fact, being a little bored is good for their creativity.

If I plan every single activity for them, when will they have time to find a book? When will they just go play in the backyard? Maggie is way more crafty than I am and can create scenes and clothes out of felt and a hair tie. She needs that unstructured time to do things like that.

I think we put so much pressure on ourselves as moms to create memories and fun for our kids. It is important for them to have fun and be creative. I want to find a good balance between helping them and letting them be a little bored.

Patrick eating bacon outside in his new camping chair. I hope our summer is filled with this kind of fun.

No comments: