Thursday, July 29, 2010

Our first chick flick

A few weeks ago, I saw that Ramona and Beezus was going to be a movie. I squealed with delight! Yay! Something to share with Maggie from my childhood.

I was a huge Ramona fan when I was little. I remember coming home and finding "Ramona Quimby, Age 8" on my bed after school as a surprise from my mom. I read all of the Ramona books over and over again. I have a lot of them committed to memory.

So, I went to Amazon and got Ramona and Beezus so Maggie and I could read it before we went to see the movie. We had fun reading it and I saw a lot of Maggie in Ramona. She's got a huge imagination, but she's more reserved in some ways like Beezus.

Last night, we went to see Ramona and Beezus. We loved it. They combined all of the books together but included the important parts like slamming an egg on her head and squeezing a whole tube of toothpaste in the sink.

They also included her dad losing her job, which hits home to a lot of people right now. Right before the end of the movie, her dad loses his job, Picky Picky died and they are about to move. Maggie looked up at me with big tears in her eyes and said, "I'm about done with this movie." I assured her that we had to keep going.

It was tied up neatly at the end of the movie. It was the perfect chick flick for a 6 year old!

1 comment:

Bug said...

Oh man, I LOVE Picky Picky. Did they show the part where Ramona wears her pjs to school under her clothes. AND, your MOM got you a surprise??? She must be a terrific mother!!!!