Thursday, July 22, 2010

24 hours a day

My daughter can read. This is most evident in the car. She is constantly sounding out road signs and billboards.

Most of our conversations go like this:

Maggie: Mommy, what does S-P-E-E-D say?
Mommy: I don't know. Why don't you sound it out?
Maggie: Sp-eed. Speed. Cool. What does that mean? Why do we need speed limits? Why would people want to go faster than they should?Etc.

When I worked with Pre-K, I got to go to some of the teaching training workshops. I remember that one of the first ways that children learn how to read is from reading "environmental print". This is why children from an early age know that the word under the golden arches says McDonald's.

My daughter is embarrassingly good at environmental print from fast food restaurants.

So, we passed Walgreens on Sunday. She calls it "wal-grees" and I am not going to correct her on that because it's kind of cute.




She said, "Walgrees. Open 24 hours". Then, she paused. She said, "Wow, I feel sorry for the wagrees workers. They have to stay there for 24 hours. I bet they get really tired."

Then, we passed Steven running and she said, "Hurry up and get to him and roll down the window so I can cheer for Daddy!"

4 comments:

Kimm's Place said...

She commented about the 24 hours but not about the "we have chicken poop" ??

Anonymous said...

I like the "cheer for Daddy" part :)

Bug said...

That is so funny. Your brother said the same thing about the 24-hour workers when he was six!!!! Did you ever find out why Walgrees was selling chicken poop? BTW, I am stealing your photo and posting it!

beth said...

It was just a stock photo that I found. I was trying to find a picture of the walgreens sign online and this one popped up. It was too hilarious to pass up.