Sunday, September 9, 2012

Those words

Yesterday, I was sitting on Patrick's floor sorting through his clothes. He shot up again and can't fit in his pants. I mean, he can still fit in a 2t in the waist but is a 4t in length. He is so tall and skinny.

He was playing cars next to me and talking to me about his clothes. He saw some of his older shirts out. I told him that he wore those when he wa a baby.

He said,"when I was a baby in your tummy?".

I held my breath and tried to form the right words.

We have always thought that we would be up front about him being adopted. There is no need to hide it. But how do you find the right words to explain this correctly to a three year old.

I said," no you weren't in my tummy. You were in another mommy's tummy. But we got to adopt you and you are ours."

He said," oh adopt". Trying out the new word.

He quickly moved on to talking about his cars and I looked at him for his reaction to all of this.

I wish sometimes that he was in my tummy. It would be easier for him. But, it is part of his story and it makes up who he is.

I pray that I find the right words. I don't know if I am doing this right but I want to say it in a way that makes him realize how special he is to us.

Lord, guide my words.