Monday, September 7, 2009

Rainbows and Butterflies



We had a very busy weekend. The most important part was that we added a new member to our family. We got a little boy who is 2 months old on Friday night. He has been a joy and been so easy. Eats and sleeps and coos and smiles at Maggie. It's been so fun. Maggie has adjusted well, but she got a little frustrated tonight. I think that it was probably a mixture of her frustration with her "projects" and working out her feelings for the new little guy in our home.

Tonight, Maggie was trying to make Daddy a new recipe for his return from hiking all day. She got pretty frustrated because it wasn't working right. She is always coming up with recipes and "inventions". Lately, she's been frustrated because her inventions don't work.

I was trying to explain to her that inventors have to work and work on an invention to make it work the right way. This was seeming to make sense to her, but then (drama queen) got upset again about everything.

She said, "you know, when I was in your tummy, I was kicking and trying to get out. Then, I came out and I really thought that everything was (i'm so not making this up) going to be like a lot of rainbows and butterflies. But, I never see butterflies."

This was followed by lots of tears. I was trying to comfort her and then, our little guy reached over and grabbed her hand and held her hand. She stopped crying to smile and him. It was so sweet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that has to be the best quote EVER!!!

Bug said...

I NEVER see butterflies either! Man, what a ripoff.

Memaw

Word vertification: Libio: A person born in early October who is trying to walk under a stick.

jill rosalie said...

wow, that made me feel sad. I know what she means though, life so often isn't what we expect or hope. Ironically,though, I have seen a few butterflies this summer, after not spotting any for years! I hope she will see some soon!